Marriage licenses may be obtained in any Clerk's Office in the State of Louisiana and are valid for all parishes; however, the license must be returned for filing to the office from which it was issued.
Either party may purchase the license, however there is a great deal of information that must be included about both parties. Some of the information which is required is as follows:
- Father's name, mother's maiden name;
- Mothers & fathers state of birth;
- Social Security Number for both bride & groom;
- A valid driver's license or ID card;
- Birth certificates must be submitted for both parties;
- If this is a second marriage for either party, you must know the month and year of any prior divorce.
- Widows and widowers must know the month and year of the death of their spouse.
- There is a 72 hour waiting period from the time the license is purchased until the ceremony may be performed by a member of the clergy, Justice of the Peace, or Judge.
- Once purchased, the license must be used within thirty days.
- The cost of a marriage license is $25.00 OR $30.00 if we notarize the document for you.
The couple who chooses to enter into a Covenant Marriage agrees to be bound by two serious limitations on obtaining a divorce or separation. These limitations, which do not apply to other couples married in Louisiana, are as follows:
- The couple legally agrees to seek marital counseling if problems develop during the marriage.
- The couple can only seek a divorce or legal separation for limited reasons.
For more information regarding covenant marriage, please visit the Lousiaina Office of the Attorney General Website.
Application for Marriage License
For your convenience you may download and complete the attached marriage license application worksheet. The completed form is not required to be presented when purchasing a marriage license but it will allow us to complete your license faster.